This policy should be read in conjunction the Privacy Act 2020.
For further information on the Act and its principles, please refer to www.privacy.org.nz.
This policy sets out why and how we will be collecting, using, handling and disclosing personal information of those that work for Teacher Development Aotearoa (including contractors, volunteers, members and other suppliers to our organisation).
The principles of the Privacy Act 2020 apply to the guidelines set out in this policy and we comply with our obligations under the Act.
Guidelines for collecting, using, handling and disclosing personal information.
- We collect personal information about individuals when they use or support our services.
- We collect personal information about an individual from that individual directly or a third party only where the individual has authorised the transaction.
- We only collect the necessary personal information required to carry out and supply our services.
- When we collect personal information about an individual, we make known the purpose of collecting it and who will be viewing it.
- We use personal information only for the purposes for which it was obtained (for example to better understand who our members are to best support their needs) except in certain circumstances (for example, for statistical purposes where an individual's identity is not disclosed).
- We take reasonable steps to protect your personal information from loss, unauthorised activity or use.
- We do not disclose personal information without consent of the individual unless:
- the information is already publicly available, or
- the right to privacy is over-ridden by other legislation, or
- it is necessary for the protection of individual or public health and safety.
- As per the obligations set out in the Act, you have the right to access readily retrievable personal information that we hold about you and we will make it available to you as per our obligations under the Act. In respect of a request for correction, we will make the correction where reasonably able to change the personal information. We aim to foster and maintain trust and transparency.
- We only keep information for as long as it is needed, and for the purposes for which it was obtained.
All Teacher Development Aotearoa's people (including contractors and volunteers) are expected to be familiar with this policy and its implementation procedures and apply them where appropriate to their role within the organisation.